Facebook is one of the most popular social media platforms in the world. It has over 2 billion active users, and that number continues to grow every day. So why is Facebook marketing so important? Here are five reasons why you should be using it for your business: 1. Reach a Massive Audience With over […]
Earned, Owned, and Paid Media: What's the Difference for Digital Marketing?
Many talks these days about earned, owned, and paid media and how they all work together to create successful digital marketing campaigns. But what do these terms mean? And more importantly, what can you do to ensure your campaigns use all three media types? In this blog post, we'll break down every kind of media and show you how to use them for your business.
What is earned media, and how does it differ from owned and paid media?
Earned media is any type of coverage or exposure you didn't have to pay for. This includes earned press coverage, social media mentions, or word-of-mouth referrals. Essentially, earned media is anything that helps promote your business without you having to put any money behind it.
While earned media is great because it's free, it can be challenging to generate on your own. That's where owned, and paid media come in.
Owned media is any type of platform or channel that you control, like your website, blog, or social media accounts. This is the type of media where you have the most control over the message and the audience.
Paid media is, well, anything that you have to pay for. This can include online ads, sponsorships, or influencer marketing campaigns. Paid media is a great way to reach new audiences and generate earned media simultaneously.
How can you generate earned media for your brand or business?
You can do a few things to generate earned media for your business:
- Make sure your website and social media platforms are up-to-date and full of high-quality content.
- Provide regular updates and exciting information about your industry on your blog or website.
- Seek out opportunities for press coverage by pitching story ideas to reporters and bloggers.
- Build relationships with industry influencers and ask them to promote your content.
- Host events or webinars and invite people to share information about them on social media.
What are some examples of earned media?
Some examples of earned media include:
- A journalist writing a story about your company in a newspaper or magazine
- A blogger reviewing your product on their website
- A customer tweeting about their positive experience with your product
- An influencer posting about your brand on Instagram
As you can see, earned media can take many different forms. The important thing is that it's organic and unpaid.
What are some common mistakes made with earned media campaigns?
A few common mistakes are made when generating earned media:
- Not having a plan or strategy in place.
- Rarely monitoring social media and online news sources for mentions of your brand or industry.
- Doesn't take advantage of earned media opportunities when they arise.
What is the value of earned media, and why should you invest in it?
The value of earned media is that it helps promote your brand or business without you having to put any money behind it. This can help increase brand awareness and build trust with potential customers. Additionally, earned media can help create social proof for your business, leading to more customers and sales.
Overall, earned media is a valuable asset for any business and worth investing time and resources into generating it.
How can you measure the success of an earned media campaign?
There are a few ways to measure the success of an earned media campaign:
- Look at the number of mentions your brand or business received.
- Track how many people visited your website or social media platforms after seeing earned media coverage.
- Calculate the value of earned media impressions (how many people saw the coverage).
What is some standard earned media metrics?
Some standard earned media metrics include:
- Number of social media mentions
- Number of earned media impressions
- Engagement rate (likes, comments, shares)
How can you use earned, owned, and paid media together?
The best digital marketing campaigns will use all three media types. Here are a few examples of how you can do this:
- Use earned media to generate interest in your brand or product. This could be done by getting press coverage or being featured on a popular blog.
- Use owned media to drive traffic to your website or social media platforms. This can be done by creating high-quality content or hosting events that people will want to learn more about.
- Use paid media to reach new audiences and generate earned media simultaneously. For example, you could run a social media ad campaign and include a hashtag that people can use to share their experiences.
By using all three media types, you'll be able to create a well-rounded digital marketing campaign to help you reach your goals. So don't be afraid to mix things up and try new things!
To help you more about digital marketing, I need you to check this eBook I've created about the 10 things that I'VE WISHED I had known when I started marketing. If you are or are not in the same place, you must read this. Get the eBook here.
If you want more up close and personal marketing strategies, advice, or an overhaul of your marketing structure, email us at email@example.com or schedule a call with Zack now.